To listen to “When Negotiating Compromise To Win”
During a negotiation, there’ll be times when you’ll be required to compromise. The way you compromise, signals the importance of some terms of the negotiation versus others. Thus, it will behoove you to be coy at times when compromising in a negotiation.
How then should you compromise in a negotiation and what strategies should you employ? The following are seven thoughts to contemplate in your negotiations, when dealing with compromise.
1. Most negotiators state, you should never compromise too quickly in a negotiation. In general, that’s good advice. The way you compromise should be dependent on the situation and on what it is you’re negotiating. If you whimsically cast off an item as not being important, you can concede it haphazardly. If on the other hand, you wish to convey importance of an item, hang on to it like life itself. Be dogmatic about compromising it and exact a high price in return for your acquiescence.
2. Consider using an implied compromise as a stalling tactic. This can give you more time to prepare and/or implement another strategy (ex. I think I can accommodate you, but I have to get the OK from my boss.).
3. Whenever you compromise, consider getting something, as the result of giving something.
4. You can also utilize the compromising process as a decoy. You’d employ such a tactic by giving value to a covenant of the negotiation that really doesn’t possess the degree of value proclaimed. In so doing, you can divert attention away from a covenant that possesses more value.
5. By compromising easily, you can give the appearance that you’re an easy person to negotiate with, which could cause the other negotiator to drop her guard.
6. Always ask yourself the question, is it worth it to negotiate if a loss is eminent? If there’s a future strategic position that can be gained, consider how you will utilize compromises to attain that position. After all, a loss can be a win, if you continue with the negotiation. Just be mindful of minimizing your loss.
7. By being known for the way you compromise, you create an image of who you are. When negotiating over a period of time, such an image can be beneficial to you.
Sometimes, there’ll be situations that you know you can’t win, and yet it will behoove you to negotiate. So, why should you fight when you know the chances of winning are slim? You should consider doing so to position yourself for future negotiations, or the next phase of the negotiation. Since compromise occurs in all aspects of life, by knowing how, when, and the right environment to compromise, you can enhance your negotiation outcomes … and everything will be right with the world. Remember, you’re always negotiating.
The Negotiation Tips Are
- Always seek to compromise where and when appropriate to enhance your position.
- Strive to get something in return for a concession. When compromising, if all you get is a chit, it can become something of value that you can use in the negotiation.
- In your negotiations, have items ready to use that have no importance to you, for the purpose of compromise.